Monday 25 April 2011

Filling In Some Blanks

Due to technical errors beyond my control the website has not allowed me to post updates for a week, I have reported the problem and it seems to be sorted and hopefully will not affect me again.
Last week I was hired by a singer/guitarist I know to come and gig with him.
The gig is to open a night of music on the 1st of July in South Wing-field for a Biker’s rally weekend.
We have spent 8 solid hours rehearsing so far and have comprised a set of acoustic blues music lasting us half an hour to entertain people with.
I have found this to be a fun and yet challenging experience so far as I am used to simply jamming out blues numbers on my electric or with a live band but with just two acoustic guitars and sharing vocals the sound scope is a different one to play with.
We have combined covers of numbers by the like of BB King with the original Mississippi delta songs of the likes of Robert Johnson and Sonny Boy Williamson utilising chordal patterns with simple melodies and slide guitar solos, we are even going to do a nice bluesy cover of ‘Knockin On Heavens Door’ By Bob Dylan and I am putting a Harmonica part into it.
After we have practiced tonight I will load up the final set list.

The week before last I began embarking on a new expedition to exploit myself musically.
I am going to make simple videos of me performing my own songs or covers of songs I have learnt which can express my technicality and feel levels and will upload them to the internet and post them to people who are looking for guitarists for hire.
My first two videos to go up tomorrow will be covers of:
‘Hey Joe’ - Jimi Hendrix
‘Surfing With The Alien’ – Joe Satriani
The both cover wide aspects of feel playing and technicality and are two of the songs that heavily accelerated my playing ability and increased the pleasure of playing guitar for me and they are both by two of my guitar idols.



Jimi Hendrix



Joe Satriani

I will update this more tomorrow with hopefully some more positive inputs.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment